Monday, December 16, 2013

RITELL 2013 Conference Reflection


Upon signing up to attend the Fall 2013 RITELL (Rhode Island Teachers of English Language Learners) conference, I was unsure of what to expect. I have always considered teaching English as a content for students at the secondary level, but I have never truly considered how I would cater to English language learners (ELL). This year’s RITELL conference focused on many different aspects of educating ELL students, but mostly focused on the SIOP model. The SIOP model (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) is a framework for organizing instruction and is concerned with preparing students for college and the real world. This model consists of eight main components that when implemented correctly, will lead students to academic success. As RITELL’s keynote speaker Dr. Deborah Short informed the audience, the SIOP model is not something that should be implemented strictly for ELL students, but rather something that all students can benefit from.
Although Dr. Short’s speech was interesting, it was not until the breakout session that I found myself truly understanding how the model works. During the breakout session Dr. Short went more into detail about ways to implement the SIOP model, and cater to the needs of ELL students. I found many of the lesson techniques both interesting and useful, and felt excited about applying them into my future lesson plans. One strategy that I can see myself using involved word gradients. A word gradient shows students how to use better words. For example, rather than use the word mad, students can choose from angry, irate, or furious. The words are written on paint sample cards; as the words become more advanced, the color darkens. I liked this technique because not only will it help ELL students improve writing skills, but it will also target the needs of diverse learners in the sense that it offers a visual understanding to students.
Another activity that I found very interesting was the use of sentence strips. For this activity, students physically organize themselves based on fragments of sentences that they have selected. The idea is that students will order themselves based on the correct structure of the sentence. Once again, this meets the needs of not only ELL students, but offers something for a variety of ELA students in the sense that it is an engaging activity that involves kinesthetic that are sure to get students up and moving. This takes learning to a deeper level of engagement and understanding.
I have attended conferences such as Promising Practices in the past, but I am especially grateful that I chose to attend this year’s RITELL conference. Through participating in the conference, I have come to the understanding that integrating ELL students into traditional classrooms should not pose as a burden to the educator. Lesson planning should be engaging for all students, and if implemented correctly, the SIOP method will help to create a learning environment that is both engaging and challenging for all students, and help to eliminate the stigma that is associated with being an ELL student. I enjoyed the conference so much that I decided to join as an official member!

No comments:

Post a Comment